Latest News / Three LiveWIRE success stories feature on Shell.com
A head start for young entrepreneurs
Three young entrepreneurs who have come through the Shell LiveWIRE programme stand to benefit from additional PR exposure after being showcased on the global website of Royal Dutch Shell.
An extract from the article is included below, as is a link to the entire piece on shell.com.
It takes more than a bright idea to start your own business. Your plan must be sound enough to attract investment. And to succeed you have to stand out from the crowd. The Shell LiveWIRE programme gives young entrepreneurs around the world a vital head start that helps them convert ideas into successful companies.
Nick Proctor was still working from his father’s house when, in 2010, Amber Energy won a Shell LiveWIRE Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award. At the UK finals he met top UK entrepreneurs including Emma Jones of Enterprise Nation which supports new businesses. The media coverage of the award boosted business enough for him to move into his own office and hire more staff. Emma continues to provide advice, says Nick.
In some countries, LiveWIRE links young entrepreneurs to mentors. In Port Harcourt, Nigeria, for example, Obianuju Chukwuji Joseph, manager of an interior decorating and house-keeping services company, De Zionite Enterprises, receives regular guidance from an experienced retailer. “My mentor has helped me to succeed in a practical way,” she says. “She guided me, for example, to join the Association of Traders and learn more about taxes.” Obianuju has expanded her business, employing two sisters and three other people.
Fábio Lewin, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, is another success story. He sells water extracted from the coconuts his father grows as a refreshing drink. The husks are pulversied for use as fertiliser. “Before LiveWIRE I knew no one who could help me start a company,” he says. “LiveWIRE created a national network for business people to share their advice.” Now Fábio produces and sells 40,000 litres of coconut water a month.
Read the full story about how Shell is giving young entrepreneurs a vital head start by visiting their global website.
- Argentina raises a glass to its LiveWIREs
- Innovative Lighting Company Wins LiveWIRE Netherlands Award
- 10 Young, Creative and Social Minded Entrepreneurs Recognised at LiveWIRE Indonesia Awards
- Dutch LiveWIREs make awards shortlist
- Brazil celebrates its LiveWIREs
- Ben Allen is Shell LiveWIRE UK Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- It's a win win for Tameer and Lubes!
- Dutch entrepreneurs compete to become a LiveWIRE NL Award finalist
- Brazilian entrepreneurs share their experiences at Iniciativa Jovem Talks
- Iniciativa Jovem visits Shell Brazil
- LiveWIRE UK celebrates membership milestone
- Shell trains more than 5000 Saudi youth in business skills
- Three LiveWIRE success stories feature on Shell.com
- Brazilian LiveWIREs start their enterprise journey